Master’s Degree in Fertilizer Science and Technology
Accredited by the Ministry of National Education, Vocational Training, Higher Education and Scientific Research.
- School / Department: School of Agriculture, Fertilizers and Environmental Sciences (ESAFE)
- Duration : 2 years
- Mode of Instruction : Full Time Master’s
- Language(s) : English
- Degree required upon admission: BAC+3
- Degree granted upon completion: BAC+5
- Training venue: Mohammed VI Polytechnic University – Benguerir
- Program Start Date : September 2019
The goal of the MS program in Fertilizer Science and Technology is to prepare graduates possessing broad knowledge of fertilizer and soil fertility to become specialists and experts working on the next generation of fertilizers and management of the fertilizer industry. The program is designed to provide the most comprehensive training possible in this field.
It is important to underline that Morocco does not train specialists in this field and even on the international level such type of training is becoming rarer. In the US, universities haven’t had any official fertilizer and soil fertility program since the 1980s. Currently, it is very difficult to find a university with more than one professor doing research in this field. Rightly as well, several specialists in the field of fertilizer science and technology at the global level will be gradually retiring within the next 5 years.
This MS program provides sustained training for students, senior managers and leaders in the fields of fertilizers and soil fertility, with a strong highlight on the environmental dimension. They can integrate both the public and private sectors and can also be part of national and international organizations in production and formulation of fertilizers, consulting, expertise, management, planning and monitoring-evaluation, and this in the following areas:
- Process engineering related to fertilizer manufacturing
- Innovation in the field of fertilizers
- Soil fertility management
- Recommendation and formulation of fertilizers
- Phosphate and fertilizers industry value chain
- Restoring the fertility of degraded soils
- Diagnosis and management of nutrients in the soil
- Logistics and communication in relation to the valorization, marketing and rationalization of fertilizers
- Environmental impact studies
They may also pursue research work as part of a PhD thesis project.
At the end of the training, students will be able to:
- Develop new fertilizer products;Reduce costs while increasing the quality of fertilizers;
- Evaluate and correct soil fertility to maximize crop productivity;
- Develop diagnostic and communication tools to rationalize and promote fertilizers;
- Act on the entire value chain of the phosphate fertilizer industry;
- Evaluate the physical and chemical characteristics / quality of fertilizers;
- Develop standards of interpretation of soil and plant analyses;
- Set up laboratories for analysis related to soil fertility and fertilizers;
- Design and manage environmental studies projects;
- Design, monitor and evaluate research in the areas of fertilizer and soil fertility management;
- Produce soil fertility maps using GIS and practice precision farming;
- Conduct technical-economic evaluations of projects;
- Manage projects related to fertilizers and soil fertility;
- Identify and implement actions related to sustainable development (social equity, environment and economic efficiency);
- Work in a team, in a multicultural and multidisciplinary context;
- Create and manage small and medium sized enterprises (Entrepreneurship).
Beyond these technical skills, students will also acquire transversal skills in "soft skills" (communication, teamwork and English) and "business skills" (innovation, entrepreneurship, project management, ...) allowing them to interact effectively in their future work environments.
DIRECTOR OF STUDIES
M. Aziz YASRIDIRECTOR OF STUDIES
Dr. Abdelaziz Yasri holds a PhD in Biophysics from Montpellier II University in France and an MBA from Montpellier Business School. He is currently a professor at Mohammed VI Polytechnic University in Morocco and coordinator of the School of Agriculture at UM6P.
Dr. A. Yasri has more than 25 years of experience in academia, start-ups and biotechnology. He has worked in biotechnology companies in France, Belgium and the United States where he held several positions as Senior Scientist.
Dr. A. Yasri was one of the founders of Nova Decision and OriBase Pharma, where he was appointed as Scientific Director.
Dr. A. Yasri is founder and president of the Moroccan Society for Therapeutic Chemistry and a member of the board of directors of the Arab Foundation for Science and Technology. He has published more than 25 scientific articles in international journals and nine international patents in the field of biotechnology. He works in the ‘AgroBioSciences’ program and conducts research on the valorization of biomass for the development of biostimulants, biofertilizers, biopesticides and agro-resources at Mohammed VI Polytechnic University, Morocco.
- International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC), USA
- University of Georgia, USA
- International Plant Nutrition Institute (IPNI), USA
- Hassan II Agronomic and Veterinary Institute
- MaBioVa, Erasmus+